June 17 - 21, 2013
Sunday, June 16 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
“So You Want to Build a Distillery?”
*Optional session at no additional charge
Join us for an unprecedented educational opportunity. For those entering the emerging artisan distilling industry, it will provide access to a level of expertise unavailable anywhere.
The Epicenter's 5-Day Distiller Course exposes attendees to a well-rounded perspective of the industry, provided by recognized industry leaders. The technical aspects of distillate production are only the beginning. Challenges and opportunities from distillery construction to distributor selection to financial considerations are also explored.
As the independent, exclusive Education Provider member of the Kentucky Distillers' Association, the Epicenter is a purpose-built, state-of-the-art, craft distillery and education center. Owning no brands of its own, the Epicenter's mission is to serve as a resource to the distilling industry at large, with particular focus on the artisan segment.
Classroom instruction, coupled with hands-on experience and priceless networking opportunities, combine to make the Epicenter's 5-Day Distiller Overview Course the industry's premier educational event.
Register by May 1, 2013,
and we will provide 5 nights of accommodations at the Brown Hotel.
(Sunday night through Thursday night)
This unprecedented 5-Day immersion course provides:
- Real industry experts
- Seasoned master distillers
- Experienced brand experts
- Current professional contacts
- Legitimate suppliers to distilleries
- Industry distributors
- Exceptional opportunities to network
- Endorsed by Jefferson Technical and Community College
Who Should Attend This Class?
- Entrepreneurs interested in opening their own distillery or launching their own brand
- Industry professionals who are looking to gain a better overall understanding of the craft, science and trade of beverage alcohol
- Those looking for careers in the distilling industry.
What Will I Learn?
Our 5-Day Distiller Course provides a complete overview of the craft of distilling and the beverage alcohol industry through comprehensive technical training and business management education. It is held at our state-of-the-art educational facility, with our artisan-sized distillery designed as part of the classroom. It is an intensive, practical, hands-on learning experience that covers every facet of the craft and the industry, from grain selection to getting your product into the hands of consumers.
Attendees study a range of topics presented by our premier faculty of experts, including:
- Distilling Basics & Theory
- Distillate & Equipment Specifications
- Grain Selection/Mash Bill Development
- Distillation Theory & Application
- Blending & Bottling
- Route to Market
- Branding, Marketing & Sales
- Distribution Structure
- Licensing & Regulatory Compliance
- Distillery & Process Management
Is It Hands-On?
We spend time in the distillery every day. We distill rum, whiskey and vodka. Our hands-on distilling consultant, Pete Kamer, is worth every penny of tuition alone. He is happy to spend time with our attendees before and after class and on breaks to answer questions, discuss individual projects and demonstrate techniques.
We also spend time in the beverage development lab studying flavorings and infusions, uses for grain neutral spirits (GNS), chill filtration and the art and science of sensory evaluations.
How Is This Different From Other Distilling Courses?
Attendees experience and come away with:
- Curriculum designed by a team of industry consultants, master distillers and brand experts
- Content unparalleled in depth and caliber
- Learning outcomes fully endorsed by Jefferson Technical and Community College
- A network of professional contacts from suppliers to distillers to distributors
- Exceptional opportunities to personally engage with the best of the best in the beverage alcohol industry, including a networking reception with industry insiders and consultants and dinner with world-renowned master distillers.
As the exclusive educational member of the Kentucky Distillers' Association, Moonshine University has the full breadth and depth of its support. KDA members produce nearly all of the major brands and many of the well-known craft brands in the United States. It is with these resources that we are able to offer such an in-depth training and business education for the distilling industry.
Attendees benefit enormously from our ability to assemble a faculty of experts that includes:
- Distillery Equipment Manufacturers
- General & Sub-contractors
- Beverage Scientists
- Distillery Operators
- World-renowned Master Distillers
- Brand Managers
- Distribution Managers
- Beverage Law & Compliance Consultants
What Is Included With My Tuition?
- 5 full days of instruction
- Optional half-day session on Sunday at no additional charge
- Continental breakfast, lunch and refreshments daily
- Networking Reception Monday night
- Off-site dinner during the week
- Transportation to and from the Brown Hotel each day
For those who register during the Early Registration Period, we will provide 5 nights of accommodations at the Brown Hotel.
(Sunday night through Thursday night)
Do I Need To Attend The Optional Sunday Session?
This session, offered at no additional charge, is invaluable as it is designed to save entrepreneurs costly mistakes, manage expectations and prepare them for the realities of starting a distillery.
The optional session on Sunday is focused on how to build, equip and open a distillery; it's the course we wish we would have had ourselves when building our own distillery.
Attendees will learn from an experienced distillery construction team made up of:
- The General Contractor
- Critical sub-contractors
- Key equipment manufacturers
- Economic Development Officials
- Distillery Operator
What Have Attendees Said About This Course?
This is actual written feedback from our attendees:
“I have a whole wall full of high-tech diplomas, that now mean little or nothing to me...the Moonshine U diploma will get the place of honor, on my study wall.”
“I had very high expectations that were met.”
“I feel I am at the Kentucky Derby of Distilling!”
“Exceeded expectations! Great resources!”
“Wow and thank you!”
“Excellent! Exceeded expectations. Staff was excellent, and Pete Kamer was outstanding!”
“The pro-forma financials and cost analyses were especially useful.”
“Staff is excellent!”
“The instructors were excellent and the best part of the class.”